top of page



Answers to frequently asked questions about voting.

How do I register to vote?

You can register or update your registration information at


What is the deadline to register to vote?

In Colorado, you can register to vote in-person up to and including Election Day.


I’ve moved but I have kept my post office box - why do I still need to change my voting address?

Where you live in Eagle County (your street address) determines which candidates are on your ballot.


I will be gone during this election season! Can I get my ballot forwarded?

Ballots are not permitted to be forwarded. You need to make sure your mailing address is correct at


You can provide a temporary mailing address. Go to, find your voter registration and edit it by adding a new mailing address. That will remain your mailing address unless and until you change it for future elections, so don’t forget to update it when needed. This ballot mailing address field works great for voters who are visiting family for an extended period of time, have been displaced due to COVID, are studying outside of the area, etc.

I’m a college student. How can I vote?

College students have options! A short summary: you can vote in Colorado so long as you have been a resident for 22 days, which means you can vote in Colorado if you grew up here and still consider Colorado to be your residence, or if you have come to Colorado for college (even if you are now remotely learning) and have been a resident for at least 22 days. If you prefer to vote in another state (because it is where you grew up or where you now go to school), check the rules of that state. But remember to pick just one state – you can only vote once!


When should I expect to receive my ballot in the mail?

Ballots for the November 8th General Election will be mailed to all active, registered voters the week of October 17th. If you don’t receive yours by October 24th, our Clerk and Recorder, Regina O’Brien, asks that you stop by a Vote Center for a new ballot. 

I got my ballot in the mail. How can I return it?

There are three ways to return your ballot – but before you do any of these, be sure to vote all the way down and sign the envelope!

1. Drop it in an election drop box anywhere in Colorado by 7:00 pm November 8th. You can find the Eagle County locations here, and you can find all the drop boxes in the state at (scroll down to the map). 

2. Put it in a mailbox (use recommended postage) no later than October 31st. Your ballot must arrive in the Clerk & Recorder's office by 7:00 pm November 8th to count – it will not count if you mail it on November 8th!

3. Drop it off in person at a Vote Center. Those centers can also be found at (scroll down to view map) and the Eagle County locations can be found here.

I got my ballot in the mail. But I want to vote in person! How do I do that?

You can vote in person! Just go to a Vote Center (see the link to find locations and hours below) between October 24th and November 8th by 7:00 pm. Vote early to avoid lines!

Here are your in-person options:
   •    Fill out your ballot at home and drop it off at a Vote Center. 
   •    Go to a Vote Center and fill out your ballot there.
   •    Go to a Vote Center and use a “ballot marking device” to fill out your ballot. 
For Vote Centers in Eagle County, go to this site. If you do go in person, you must follow the rules regarding no electioneering which include a prohibition on carrying or wearing anything that has the name or 
likeness of a candidate or specific information (number, title, subject logo) of a ballot measure.

A family member is serving in the armed forces overseas – will she be able to vote?

By law, ballots are mailed to all military and overseas citizens on September 24, 2022. To request a ballot, or for more information, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program website .


I don’t have a good mailing address - can I pick up my ballot?

You can pick up a ballot and return it starting in October. Your first and best option is to update your mailing address as noted above. But if you do not have a good mailing address, you can pick up your ballot (and ONLY your own ballot – you can’t pick up anyone else’s ballot) at the Clerk & Recorder’s office at 500 Broadway in Eagle or at 20 Eagle County Drive in El Jebel. You can fill it out and put it in a ballot box while you are there, or you can take it home and return it later.


What if I don’t receive my ballot in the mail?

If you do not receive your ballot by Tuesday, October 24th, you can visit a Vote Center to pick up a ballot. There is no need to wait until Election Day to receive your ballot if it didn’t appear when expected or if you have lost it. You can’t vote twice, but you can get a replacement ballot if necessary. You will need an acceptable ID (you don’t need an ID to vote, but you do need an ID to get a new ballot). Acceptable IDs include a driver’s license, an ID card issued by the Department of Revenue or a US passport. 

I made a mistake on my ballot – what do I do? 
No worries! You can get a new ballot at a Vote Center. Just bring in an acceptable ID (you don’t need an ID to vote, but you do need an ID to get a new ballot). Acceptable IDs include a driver’s license, an ID card issued by the Department of Revenue or a US passport. You do not need to turn in the ballot you got in the mail to do this. But you can’t vote two ballots – you will get in big trouble if you do!

Signature issues?
Your ballot can be rejected if the signature on your envelope does not match your signature on file at the Clerk & Recorder’s Office. Do you think your signature has changed recently? It is a particular issue if you are a younger voter and the only signature the Clerk & Recorder has on file for you is from when you were age sixteen. The best way to avoid a problem is to fill out a new voter registration form and drop it off or mail it back to a Vote Center. This will give them a recent sample signature to compare. It’s easy – do it now if you are worried!


If your ballot is rejected because of a signature mismatch, you will be sent a letter giving you eight days to confirm that it is actually your signature. There are two ways to “cure” a discrepancy (these two options will also be explained in the letter you receive). The first is to return the signed paper affidavit with a photocopy of an acceptable form of ID to the Eagle County Clerk & Recorder’s office. The second is to text “Colorado” to 2VOTE (28638) and click on the link you receive as a reply. You then enter the voter ID number printed on the rejection notice you received, affirm you returned a ballot for the election, sign the affidavit on your phone, take a photo of an acceptable form of ID, and select “Submit”. Your  information is then electronically transmitted to the Clerk & Recorder’s Office for processing during business hours.

How can I get another ballot or voting question answered?

The Eagle County Clerk & Recorder’s office is always happy to help. They can be reached at and at 970-328-8715. But they will be busy as we get closer to election day. Feel free to email us at, or call the Colorado Democrats Voter Protection Hotline at 720-580-0148.

bottom of page